Top 10 most high demand jobs in the UK
Landing a job in one of the most in-demand jobs in the United Kingdom can help you get a Skilled Worker Visa and start your career in the UK.
In fact, some Filipinos have already taken this route, with Pinoy professionals ranking second in the top five nationalities granted Skilled Worker Visas as of March 2021.
According to the popular job sites LinkedIn and Glassdoor, here are the 10 most in-demand jobs in the UK:
- Technology roles
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Consumer goods
- Higher education
- Human resources
- Aviation and aerospace
- Professional and personal coaching
- Health & care
Like our fellow Filipinos already thriving in the UK, you too can be on your way to building your dream career if you meet the country’s visa and skills requirements.
Find careers in-demand in UK tech
According to LinkedIn, companies are opening opportunities in artificial intelligence (AI) and other roles in information technology as businesses continue to integrate innovation into their operations and offerings.
In no order, here are some of the popular job sites most in-demand jobs in tech:
- AI Specialist or Machine Learning Engineer – Specialists who use their computer science and engineering backgrounds to help a business automate their value streams or use AI in their product offerings
- Data Protection Officer – Professionals who ensure a company protects all personal data in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the UK Data Protection Act of 2018
- Robotics Engineer – Engineers with experience in coding and UiPath software who, according to LinkedIn, “help workers automate repetitive tasks”
Within the tech industry, there are also jobs for socially savvy professionals who know how to reach out to prospective clients, find out their needs and lead them to the right solutions offered by a business. These careers in demand are:
- Customer success specialists – Professionals who build lasting business relationships between a company and its clients by advocating for the customer’s needs and interests
- Sales development representatives – Professionals who search for and engage with possible clients for a company; they may also be called business development representatives or strategy associates
Apart from these jobs, Glassdoor, a competing job search site, also listed these sought-after technical and management roles in the IT industry:
- Java Developer – Experienced computer programmers who uses the Java programming language to make, update, and adapt software for companies
- Enterprise Architect – According to the Project Management Institute (PMI), these professionals “are responsible for envisioning communicating, and evolving an organisation’s enterprise architecture” from its organisational structure, its value streams, data and information processing, to the technology it uses to do business
- Product Manager – Professional project managers who find out what customers need and lead a team to research and develop a product that can address those needs
If you are one of these skilled professionals, and once you have secured a job in a British company with openings in one of the UK’s careers in-demand, your next step is to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa.
How does a Skilled Worker Visa work?
With the UK’s new points-based immigration system, developed after the country’s exit from the European Union, you will have to score 70 points on your application to be granted a Skilled Worker Visa.
To earn these points, you will need to meet these minimum requirements:
- You must have a job offer from a company that is licensed by the Home Office
- Your job must require a higher level of education (at least RQF3 or A Level)
- You must be able to speak English well enough to do your job
If you still need to earn additional points to make the cut, you may be able to qualify if:
- You will earn at least £25,600 annually
- You have a PhD related to your job in the UK
- You have a PhD in the science, technology, engineering, or mathematics field
- You have been offered a job in one of the careers in demand in the UK where there is a shortage of talent
- You have been offered a job in the health or education sector
If you get a job where there is a shortage, or if you land a job in health and education, you will only need to earn an initial income of at least £20,480 to earn points. This also applies to “new entrants” to the UK labour market.
New entrants are:
- Professionals up to 26 years old
- Fresh graduates entering the job market
- People who are currently working on their professional qualifications
If you’re planning on moving to the UK as a health worker, it’s also important to note that your journey may run differently than that of your peers.
Health and Care Worker Visas work differently
Filipinos already working as health professionals with the National Health Service made up the third-largest nationality of NHS staff in England as of March 2021, right after British and Indian health workers. Though the NHS notes that these numbers may reflect cultural heritage rather than citizenship for some of their staff, these may still show that several of our people have sought to hone their skills in the UK’s health and care sector.
Though you will still be considered a skilled worker if you move to the UK as a health professional, the country has eased some of their rules for frontliners working in the most in-demand jobs in the UK.
According to the British government’s statement giving further details on their points-based immigration system, “There will be fast-track entry, with reduced application fees and dedicated support regarding the application process, for eligible individuals to come to the UK with their families.”
There will also be fewer fees as professionals applying for Health and Care Worker Visas won’t need to pay the UK’s Immigration Health Surcharge.
To be eligible for this visa, you must:
- Receive a job offer from the NHS, the social care sector, or from organisations working with the NHS
- Meet the minimum requirements for a Skilled Worker Visa
Examples of the most in-demand jobs for a UK Health and Care Worker Visa are:
- Biological scientists and biochemists
- Physical scientists (e.g., chemists)
- Medical practitioners
LinkedIn also noted that jobs in the British medical field grew by 58% in 2020, with the following job titles experiencing the most growth:
- Intensive care nurse – They attend to patients who are in a more delicate condition, requiring more equipment, observation, and time
- Certified nursing assistant – CNAs help registered nurses with their daily tasks, including feeding, cleaning, and monitoring patients
- Laboratory scientist – These professionals collect and test medical samples, helping doctors identify and treat illnesses
- Medical laboratory assistant – The NHS needs qualified staff to monitor lab equipment and supplies and to keep the laboratory’s records and samples in order
If none of the jobs we’ve listed match your skills, there is one more way to get a visa to work in the most in-demand jobs in the UK.
Moving to the UK as a global talent
Another goal of the British points-based immigration system is to bring top professionals from all over the world into the UK.
If you are a prominent or emerging leader in any of these fields, you may qualify to move to the UK on a Global Talent Visa:
- Arts (including film, fashion, and architecture)
Besides having an impressive portfolio, renowned Filipino professionals must get an endorsement from one of these British organisations:
- The Royal Society (science and medicine)
- The Royal Academy of Engineering (engineering)
- The British Academy (humanities)
- UK Research and Innovation (science and research)
- Tech Nation (digital tech)
- Arts Council England (arts and culture)
If you qualify for this visa, you are free to be employed or self-employed in the UK. You can also switch jobs without having to coordinate with the Home Office, and you can travel to and from the UK to conduct research.
What happens next?
Whether you get a Skilled Worker Visa or a Global Talent Visa, you will be able to live and work in some of the top cities in the UK for five years. After that, you may apply for an extension of your current visa or for more permanent papers, also known as an “indefinite leave to remain.”
If you have a Skilled Worker Visa, remember that changing jobs or employers will require you to re-apply for a new authorisation to work in the UK, so take the time to reflect on whether switching careers while in the country will be worth the time, money, and paperwork.
Send money to the Philippines
We know your dreams extend to your family back home; so once you do start working in one of the most in-demand jobs in the UK, remember to send them some support using Kabayan Remit, a secure money remittance app with competitive exchange rates.
To learn more about how we can help you, talk to our 24/7 bilingual customer support.